Saturday, April 14, 2012

I have often wondered whether our instincts are driven by our "heart" or our "head". Over the past few weeks I have realized that it is definitely not the heart. The heart will gladly lead you astray. It causes you to let others take advantage of you, to treat you badly, and to keep these people in your life because the heart tells you that you love them. The head can be questionable too, a little bit too hard and quick to destroy things due to reason. It can be cold and distancing. It can tell you to push people out of your life instead of giving them patience and understanding that they are just as confused as anyone else. I believe that instincts are in the "gut", at least in my case. As my head and my heart battle it out my gut is there, meditating on the events of the day and the issues at hand. In the end it is the one to draw the line in the sand, between giving too much and not giving enough. When I think of instincts I think of self preservation. It is giving yourself and others the chance so in the end, if things don't work out you can at least say you did your best while also telling you when enough is enough. My instincts provide a balanced place where the heart can be opened and love can come in, but can also go out when needed. When I follow my gut I never feel like I am giving up,  it gives me chances to grow and chances to choose the path of least resistance by doing what is right for me, and for those around me. It will never tell me to hold on to those who cause me harm, and it will never allow me to abandon those that bring me happiness. I no longer find myself bound to reason or to emotion, and in this place I am free. The veil is lifted and I can truly see what love really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment